Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog may be asleep or just sat there and suddenly he just

Hello my dog may be asleep or just sat there and suddenly he just tries to climb on things and knocks things of side tables or goes in corners, tries to climb walls just like he is trying to escape from something and when this is happening he is panting like mad
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Hello my dog may be asleep or just sat there and suddenly he just tries to climb on things and knocks things of side tables or goes in corners, tries to climb walls just like he is trying to escape from something and when this is happening he is panting like mad
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesnt seem to hurt anywhere
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Elmo 7 1/2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elmo?
Customer: No not really this has being going on for about 6 months only now and then but more frequent now other than that he has only been to vet for injections
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
There are a number of things that this may be.
If it typically happens in the same place and always happens indoors my first thought would be that there is something he is reacting to. The most common thing would be mice in the walls or floorboards, but we can also see this reaction in dogs responding to e.g. noisy neighblurs next door or abnormal shadows on the walls.
Remember, their senses are far stronger than ours so while it may seem like he is reacting to nothing there could be something we are not able to appreciate.
Another possibility is doggy dementia. Affected dogs may act abnormally and other symptoms can include staring into space and barking for no reason.
Another consideration would be boredom, and a desire to burn off excess energy. However I would only consider this if his routine had changed e.g. his walks have been shorted.
A final thought would be a sudden pain reaction. For example, dogs with syringomyelia or back pain may suddenly react in distress when a pain occurs.
Do any of these options sound possible?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The fist few no because it also happens at my partners house and I dont know about the last because he does not seem to be in pain the only one could be doggy dimentia he is barking more than normal
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry I cannot afford to call you I am a pensioner
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
So I hope you have only taken the £5 trial out of my Bank Account
I agree, if it happens in other houses then that rules that put.
I think a general vet check would be a good idea as they can do a full physical check including an orthopaedic and neurological exam during their consult.
Some sources of pain are hard to detect so the vet can thoroughly check for e.g. neck or hip pain. Similarly, they will look for potential hidden causes of pain such as an ear infection, sore back tooth or impacted anal gland.
If after all that we are still unsure of the cause, we could look further into the dementia possibility.
Please ignore any phone call requests as they are put forward automatically by the website and are out of my control. I am more than happy to continue talking via chat
Absolutely, you will not have been charged for anything else!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help but I will not continue with monthly payments of £25 because I could not afford it but once again thank you anyway I will look into dimention in dogs.
No problem. Please do talk to customer services about payments if you need to, as this is not something I have any control over. They will be more than happy to help!