Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has Cushing disease and seems to be very patient

My dog has Cushing disease and seems to be very patient agitated tonight
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: He is unsettled wants more to eat coughing now and again he is 12yrs old
Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Alfie Charles
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Alfie?
Customer: He has Cushing disease
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Alfie isnt himself.
Is he currently taking medication and if so, what?
Has anything kicked this off recently e.g. a stressful event, change in diet?
When did they last have a check up and did they have any urine or blood tests?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi they want him in on Friday to investigate but they took blood and urine last week said they might be looking at Cushing disease he became agitated when people he knows came in and this seems to unsettled him he follows me around as if he's agnouis
Ah ok, so it is only suspected at the moment and he is not on medicine?
Have you got the blood results back yet?
Coughing is not a symptom of Cushing's so has this been looked into separately? Does he have a heart murmur?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that they have said he pants a lot is a bit more tired like he's out of breath and he drinks a lot of water more than what he was doing before and wants more to eat than usual
Ok, thank you for this.
Certainly, Cushings is a possibility as he is showing many of the symptoms. If the tests come back positive, we would hope that starting the medicine would improve things quickly.
Other differentials would include e.g. diabetes, so it's important we get those blood results back.
Until we know what we are dealing with, we will just have to manage him as best we can.
Avoid over exercising him or getting him too excited. We don't want him getting out of breath.
Allow home drink as he pleases but try to only feed his regular amount of food.
If the vet hasn't seen him coughing, try to catch it on video so they can see what type of cough he has.
To try to settle him in the mean time, consider a plug in such as Adaptil which can calm many dogs down.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you please tell me if Butternut dog food is good for my dog dog
Hello! It's actually not one I am familiar with but I just checked their menu and it looks very good quality indeed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you please tell me if Butternut dog food is good for my dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for that x
No worries !