Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My girl is 8month old..she was a fabulous wee pup very

My girl is 8month old..she was a fabulous wee pup very friendly..she was spade at 6months and has completely changed..she has a swelling in her two breasts..a limp on her left side, shakes and shivering a lot..vet says she’s showing very little sign of pain so they don’t know what it is ...she has now in the last two days bit two people please help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I have a appointment with vet tomorrow..she has been on bed rest for 4weeks now..she’s a cocker spaniel..I have photos of swelling and video of shaking

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Was she in heat when spayed? I would like to see the the photos and video, please. You can upload photos by using the paper clip icon above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox. You can also send photos to***@******.*** but they can take up to 24 hours to get to me in that manner. A video needs to be uploaded to YouTube or a similar app and the link to it given to me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’m sorry I’m not very good with the internet..but I will try to send them..no she had not shown any signs of being in heat..vets say that she was checked and was definitely not showing any indications ..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have sent photos
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is video

I understand. There's little else than false pregnancy that will cause such behavior changes and swelling of the breasts in an 8 month old. I can only imagine that she had formed egg follicles that had released eggs and the resulting corpus luteum is secreting the pregnancy hormone progesterone. Her initial heat was likely a "silent" one. Here's my complete synopsis of false pregnancy for you:

The typical history is estrus 6-12 weeks earlier without an ensuing pregnancy. Chief complaints include mammary problems (engorgement, lactation, licking of the glands) and abnormalities associated with aberrant maternal behavior (nesting, digging, adoption of animals or objects); depression, or anxiety, anorexia, and excessive vocalization (whining). It usually is self-limiting within a few weeks but in some dogs will persist until the next estrus cycle. If need be, a dopamine agonist such as cabergoline can be prescribed which will shorten the course of false pregnancy. Feel free to share our conversation with her vet.

Please respond with additional questions or concerns if you wish.

(...764.jpeg was a beaut!) Thank you for the photo and video.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you..she has seen my vet several times and we have been told it is impossible for her to be having a phantom pregnancy..I asked on a number of times..but it was what I thought myself having read a few things about her symptoms..and also speaking to friends who breed dogs..I will share this with her vet tomorrow thank you

You're quite welcome. I'll set a follow up for a few weeks from now but please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

An alternative to a removed ovary that had already secreted progesterone is a piece of ovary remaining after spaying = the ovarian remnant syndrome. This can be detected with the anti-Mullerian hormone blood test which can detect ovary during any part of the reproductive cycle.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.