Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has eaten a box of chocolates, Pumba, he's 3, He's a

My dog has eaten a box of chocolates
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Pumba, he's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pumba?
Customer: He's a staffy Cross, weighs 17.5kg, and ate most of a 200g box of chocolates

I am sorry to hear Pumba got chocolate. Was this milk or dark chocolate? How long ago?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Were there 100% chocolate, or were they filled with nuts or cream centers?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It was within the last hour and a half. It was a box of Thornton chocolates, so a mix of dark and milk chocolate, with some caramels and pralines etc

Then it was not 200g of pure chocolate. Likely he will be OK but there could be vomiting and diarrhea. If you want to be safe, you can try to make him vomit.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK, that reassures me. How can we try to make him sick?

If you want to induce vomiting, put 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a little milk or ice cream and get him to drink it. If the peroxide is not out of date, he should empty his stomach in 10 minutes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK, thank you for your help. We were just panicking, but glad to know he'll be OK, bar an upset stomach

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. You can still send me updates after rating, by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. Thanks for using our site.

Thanks for the great rating.