Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

My 65lbs lab/pit mix swallowed a babyback pork rib bone

My 65lbs lab/pit mix swallowed a babyback pork rib bone earlier tonight. Seems okay but is drooling a lot. Will he be able to pass the bone or do I need to take him to the vet in the morning?? The bone was somewhat on the thin side and approximately 1/2 inch or less wide and 2-4 inches long.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beaux, 3ish
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He ate through a couch when he was a pup.

My name is Joan and I am a Vet Tech with over 35 tears in

health.

Dogs can generally breal down the bones in the strong stomach acids. Yhe one issue that we are concerned about with cooked bones is they splinter. WE need to watch for blood in the stool and abdominal pain..

The drooling is a sign of nausea, We can fuve your dog one Pepcid AC every 12-24 hours the nausea. You can start a bland diet of one part skinless boneless checked breast boiled to three parts white rice Please add a spoon full of pure canned pumpkin to ass thefiber and help passing of stool.

If there is abdominal pain, b, ,ood in the stool, excessive vomiting or lack of appetite then ger him into the Vet to be checked out.

Please reply to discuss this info. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 day ago.