Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

My dog (French bulldog) is in labour. She had some green

Customer Question

My dog (French bulldog) is in labour. She had some green discharge a couple of hours ago but still not pushing now she is leaking orangeish fluid I don’t know what to do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 15 days ago.

I wouldn't panic at this stage, it is quite normal for this to take a long time and it is likely she is not in 2nd stage about yet. It is normal that prior to active labour that discharges are seen. Second stage labour is the active passing of the puppies.

So as long as Belle is bright and happy and is NOT actively contracting then I would keep your distance and observe, she will eventually become more unsettled and commence active labour.

Reasons she will need to see a vet will be if she is actively straining and contracting her abdomen for 15 minutes or longer, this could indicate that she is struggling and may need some veterinary support.

If in doubt your vets will be accessible even in the face of the Covid-19 crisis.

Dr Dan

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for your reply. She gave birth just after your reply but unfortunately the puppy did not make it