Abby D
Abby D, Veterinary Surgeon (BSc, BVetMed, MRCVS)
Experience:  An experienced small animal vet with particular expertise in emergency and critical care
106574542

Puppy throwing up every morning. What should I do?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have a 5 month old pomeranian who has recently begun throwing up in the early hours of the morning. It first happened on the 15th of March and is now happening every day. It happens at around the same time usually - 4am or 5am - although it has happened at 2am. I think he may be vomiting from hunger since his stomach grumbles a lot in the morning.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We are feeding him the right amount according to the feeding guide which says that at his age and size (5 months and 1kg) he should be having about 140g of food a day. He gets 160g plus treats.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
We feed him 35g of food at 7am, 11am, 3:30pm and 8:30pm. Since he has been vomiting we have tried feeding him an extra small meal of 20g at 10:30 just before bed but this hasn't made a difference.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He is eating hills i/d. His treats are boiled plain chicken (about 5 to 10g per day) and puppy coachies (usually 1 to 2 per day)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The vet has said that his body condition is good so he isn't underweight and he is growing really well - about 10g a day - which for a pomeranian of his age is very good.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I should add that in the mornings he throws up in his mouth and swallows the sick so that I can't see what the sick looks like. However he was once sick at 8pm (having last eaten at 3:30pm) and although he sucked back up and ate most of this, we did manage to pick a tiny amount off the floor- I will attach a picture. This was the only time he was sick when it was normt the early hours of the morning.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Pictures of sick:
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He is particularly prone to eating things he shouldn't and has eaten stones in the past so I worry it could be a foreign object.
Hello, this is Abby, I am a vet based in the UK. How are his poos? Any diarrhoea? Have you witnessed him being sick? When he is being sick, is there noise and abdominal effort (i.e. you can see his tummy clenching)? Is he generally happy and playful? Have you noticed any other symptoms? I’m sorry I don’t seem to be able to open the picture.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
His poos are a bit soft but that is not uncommon for him and is why he is on the i/d. I have witnessed him being sick on every occasion. There is noise (a kind of retching noise?) He is lying or sitting down in his crate when it happens and I usually only have a bedside light on so I have not had a good look at whether is stomach is clenching
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
He is happy and playful otherwise
Ok, so this sounds like true vomiting rather than regurgitation. What sort of things does he tend to eat that he shouldn’t?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Anything he can fit into his mouth he will eat. Most concerningly he has eaten stones but also sticks, mud, leaves, bits of plastic bag, feathers... The list if what he will eat is only constrained by what we are able to stop him eating. Like I say, he will eat anything!

Ha ha naughty boy! Ok, given what you are describing I think a foreign body is very unlikely. The main causes of vomiting include dietary indiscretion or intolerance, obstruction (could be foreign body, intussusception), inflammation from infections, parasites, colitis, dysfunction in other organs including kidney/liver/pancreatic problems, hormonal problems and so on. A partial obstruction is vaguely possible but again, given his good weight gain and demeanour I think this is very unlikely. My first consideration would be whether there is a parasitic or protozoan cause, including giardia, worms and so on. Even puppies treated with the usual dewormers can suffer from these. So I would call your vet and ask about dropping off a faecal sample for analysis. The next step would be a full blood test including biochemistry to check the kidney and liver enzymes, blood sugar, protein levels, again I doubt anything drastic would be found but should be done before assuming it’s nothing to worry about. If parasites are not a problem and the bloods are unremarkable it could still be a dietary intolerance and trying a hypoallergenic diet would be my next port of call. I/D is not hypoallergenic - hypoallergenic means it is designed to reduce the chance of things your pup could be allergic to - chicken and beef are common culprits. Your vet will be able to recommend a good quality diet or may suggest doing bloods for food intolerances. I do not tend to do these as we get lots of false positives (i.e. the test says there is a problem when there isn’t). I find a strict food trial much more useful. This consists of feeding ONLY a hypoallergenic diet for 8-12 weeks, with no treats or scavenging, so it is difficult in a puppy like yours! This is why I would check the stool sample and do bloods first. Your vet may also suggest giving a dose of an antacid in the evening to help settle his tummy in case his little tummy gets too acidic when it is empty for a long time. I hope that is helpful and you get to the bottom of this.

Apologies for the delayed response time, I had to attend to my daughter who is teething