Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Our 11yr old staffy has snapped 3 teeth today due to trying

Our 11yr old staffy has snapped 3 teeth today due to trying to escape out of our kitchen (chewed throigh a wooden safety gate and chewed at a set of drawers. He has been showing odd behaviour, on and off for 3 months shaking and staring at walls and is becoming agressive to our other dog.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kane?
Customer: At 16month he consmed a quantity of slug pellets resulting in emergency vet care. He is fearfull of loud noises, drills, other power tools, motorbikes, lorries, some other dogs and over the years has chewed through metal fencing and wood fencing to escape sucessfully 5 times.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No change in diet, toileting or health issues we are aware of. Currently not on medication either.
Has there been any underlying anxiety ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Unable to call sorry
We can type all here. The system automatically offers the call.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We think he may have general anxiety due to him been fearfull of loud noise but today has been quiet so his outburst was out of character
Many times as anxiety progresses we can also have more aggression and behavioral changes. I will explain:
I have seen this a lot. Pets can suffer from anxiety just like we can too. My concern is that we are getting progresive anxiety. Just like with people. We can see many different signs. At times aggression can come about too. We may shake or show many different clinical signs.
If we are suffering from this amount of anxiety, you may want to consider medical help also. There is a very good and safe medication called Paroxetine (generic Paxil) that works very well to help bring the anxiety level down over a period of 1-2 months, it is once a day, after 1-2 months we can assess response to the medication and adjust the dosage accordingly. Also we can use for more stressful times a medication called Alprazolam, this can last 4-8 hours, at first you may need to use both together and then taper down the alprazolam as we get adjusted to the paroxetine. This is something that you can discuss with your veterinarian to see about prescribing. However it just to me seems that alone behavior modification will not address the intense anxiety that we are experiencing.
Have you every talked to your veterinarian about the anxiety ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, we were recently with the pdsa however are no longer entitled to this due to working full time and have been unable to register with an alternate vet due to this current covid 19 outbrake.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We do not want Kane to suffer and are worried about his now broken teeth due to his recent outburst.

Do the broken teeth seem to be painful now? Anxiety in these cases many times can be very well managed with medications as I gave an example above about.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Since his outburst and loss of teeth he has laid on his bed staring at the radiator, he has never shown discomfort from injury caused before so hard to determine any level of pain.

Aspirin at 10 mg/kg every 12 hours can help with pain/inflammation. If it is more sore to eat, then more canned food, soft food, meat, poultry or fish all can help to keep energy intake up too.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Regarding his behaviour do you feel it is only anxiety that could be causing his behaviour? He often snaps at our younger dog or sometimes his own foot without prompt.v

Once this quarantine is over, then you can discuss the above anxiety with your veterinarian too. We can keep this message open for 5 days. If any other changes or concerns arise, please let me know. Any other questions I can answer now for you?

Anxiety can manifest itself in many different ways, over time, the anxiety can make even aggressive and more short tempered over time also.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou, is their any specific things the vet will be able to test for to identify anxiety or is it based on behaviour alone?

They can do blood work to ensure that no other underlying conditions are occurring, If there is a medical condition, then they can address that and if that has something to do with the anxiety, then that may help. If not, then addressing anxiety will help a lot as I discussed above to make for a more happy and better quality of life.

Any other questions I can answer now for you?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thankyou, i would hate to think he is suffering and not having an enjoyable life.

This is very common to see in dogs also and it can be very well addressed and a wonderful and enjoyable life can still be had. It is addressable. If you have more questions as you think of them, please let me know. Have a wonderful day. Dr MIke