Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He had kennel cough vaccine (drops up nose) last week and is

He had kennel cough vaccine (drops up nose) last week and is now intermittently “coughing” making a noise like he’s trying to bring something up. Health and behaviour all normal apart from distress with his coughing/retching.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kodak. Male cockerpoo. Age 2 and half.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kodak?
Customer: No. Healthy. All boosters etc up to date.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is Dr. John, and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt-out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. Any phone call request from my end comes from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take 5-10 minutes to type out a full response, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he doing more of a snorting sound?

Is he eating and drinking well?

Activity normal?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Snorting yes! Everything else normal. Weighs about 9kg. Normal weight/checked at vets regularly. I have video of him coughing if that helps which I can send you?

Thanks for the information. If you can attach that video to your next message, I would be happy to take a look at it.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Video attached I think.

Thanks for the video. That looks and sounds more like a reverse sneeze to me. You can look up a few videos on Youtube to see if you concur. Reverse sneezing is common, especially in smaller dogs and looks worse than it really is. It is usually due to some type of nasal irritation. It is possible that it could have been the intranasal bordatella vaccine. Some dogs may have a little more irritation related to that. It is usually self limiting, though and goes away on its own. In many cases, Benadryl helps. For his size, you can give a full 25 mg dose every 8-12 hours. It is possible it could cause some drowsiness. While usually safe, as with any human medication, I always recommend checking with your vet to make sure there is nothing in the history to make it contraindicated for him. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. I sincerely hope that I have helped you. Please be patient, as it may take a few minutes to write up a well thought out response for you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. VETS CANNOT WRITE PRESCRIPTIONS BASED ON ONLINE CONVERSATIONS. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hello again. Sorry but I disagree about reverse sneezing. This is a definite cough or retching sound. Went on YouTube as you suggest and think it sounds like kennel cough. Could he have that, given he had the vaccine last week? It’s quite prolonged for periods and then back to normal, so based on what I e seen on YouTube it doesn’t seem to be tracheal collapse. He’s never had this coughing before.

You looked at a few videos, correct? It can present in different ways. With the bordetella vaccine, it is not uncommon to have some symptoms that appear to be kennel cough. Just like some people may develop mild flu like symptoms from a flu vaccine. It isn't the actual disease that they have. It is just the body's response to the vaccine. Those symptoms are typically self limiting. It definitely doesn't seem like tracheal collapse to me. It still sounds more like what I would hear from a reverse sneeze than a cough. What I cannot tell from the video, though, is if his mouth is open while he is doing this. If it is closed or barely open, then it wouldn't be a cough. If it is open a little wider then it could still be a cough. Either way, if he was my dog and was acting normal otherwise, I would still try giving Benadryl for a couple of days to see if that helps. If it doesn't or if it is getting worse, then a trip back to the vet may be in order to re-evaluate. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
That’s great Dr John. I’ll give Benadryl as you suggest and go to vet in a couple of days if it doesn’t stop. At least it’s not Coronavirus! Thankyou very much. Kind regards, Lorraine

You are welcome. Yes, at least we don't have to worry about this virus with our pets. Let me know if you have any other concerns. If you can rate my service now, that would be appreciated. You can always reply back later.