Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

She has puffy eyes and spots all over her shes had quarter

She has puffy eyes and spots all over her shes had quarter of hay fever tablet which would have been 2.5
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duchess shes a french bulldog who turned a year old on Feb 25th this year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duchess?
Customer: Shes eaten lots of grass and thrown up a few times She doesn't seem out of character and can still see out her puffy eyes

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

You appear to be describing the hives and wheals of an urticarial (hypersensitivity) reaction to food, drug, plant, envenomation, vaccination, or another chemical. An antihistamine can be helpful. How much does she weigh and which antihistamine was given in the amount of 2.5 mg, please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Just over 10kg she weighed last time she was weighed about 9 weeks ago. It's a hayfever antihistamine 2.5mgs shes had. Shes quite happy and still very playful. I have a feeling some chemical that's been used on the train is stronger then usual.

Can you tell me the active ingredient in that antihistamine, please?

Chlorpheniramine might be dosed at 0.2 - 0.5 mg/kg every 8-12 hours = 2 - 5 mg for Duchess every 8-12 hours.

Diphenhydramine might be dosed at 2 - 4 mg/kg every 8-12 hours = 20 - 40 mg for Duchess every 8 - 12 hours.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Loratadine
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
10mg which is why I gave her a quarter of one tablet

Ah! Loraditine is dosed anecdotally at 0.25 - 1.1 mg/kg - 2.5 - 10 mg for her daily. Most dogs normalize unaided within 36 hours. If not, and particularly if you're seeing worsening, Duchess' vet and inject her with a glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone and send home the same steroid in oral form. The steroids are more effective than the antihistamines at this stage in the allergic reaction. Please respond with additional questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
should I keep an eye for 24 hours and if anything gets worse then the trip to the vet. The lumps all over her body seem to have gone down a little bit.

What a face! She'll remain safe. The isn't the dangerous anaphylaxis but, instead, angioedema. Yes, be patient with her.

I can't set a follow up in this venue so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. I'll keep you posted hopefully she'll sleep it off. Shes very good with my epilepsy and mental health so shes well looked after.

She's lucky to have you. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post.