Abby D
Abby D, Veterinary Surgeon (BSc, BVetMed, MRCVS)
Experience:  An experienced small animal vet with particular expertise in emergency and critical care
106574542

My boyfriends dog got hit in the eye with a tennis ball. Its

Hey, my boyfriends dog got hit in the eye with a tennis ball. Its puffy and the bottom of her eye is slightly sagging. She can open and close it but you can tell shes uncomfortable
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Barin and shes 5
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Barin
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Shes been dealing with an ear infection for 2 months. Shes been in and out of vet for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent a picture of her eye

Hello, my name is*****’m a vet based in the UK. The picture mainly shows her third eyelid, I can’t see much of the surface of her eye. It sounds like the problem is mainly bruising and swelling of her eyelids, if you can apply a cool compress to the closed eye it may well help with the inflammation and discomfort she’s feeling. Something like a cold damp flannel would work. Some people swear by using used tea bags that have been allowed to cool down. Apply over the cold eye for a couple of minutes a couple of times over the next 24 hours. If by this time she seems more comfortable you can continue to monitor her at home.

My main concern would be whether there has been any sort of abrasion to the surface of the eye, it’s impossible to pick up superficial abrasions from a photograph, we usually use a special dye to pick them up. They can be serious and if not treated appropriately they can become deep and difficult to heal. However I would expect her to be squinting if this was the case. The other thing I would look for is if the whites of her eyes have any blood patches or bruising, or if you can see blood in/in front of the coloured part (iris) or pupil. If these areas all look fairly normal I would try the cold compress for 24 hours, if at any point she seems to get more uncomfortable (squinting or rubbing at her eye) or if she still doesn’t seem right by the end of that, I would request an check up with your vet. I hope that is helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is very helpful thank you so much

You’re welcome, I hope she feels better soon!