Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc MVB
108243009

My shitzu has bad eyes I am have to bath them several times

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my shitzu has bad eyes I am have to bath them several times a day and she also has like a fleshy blackberry in her ear pinky in colour
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Shih-Tzu?
Customer: she has bad eyes that I am bathing several times a day and also has what I would describe like a fleshy thing in her ear pinkish in colour
JA: Where does your Shih-Tzu seem to hurt?
Customer: eyes and ear
JA: OK. What is your Shih-Tzu's name and age?
Customer: Chino 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chino?
Customer: no I don’t think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Edele Grey replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you're through to Dr. Edele. I'm a vet working in the UK.

I have a few questions about Chino to help me best advise you.

Have her eyes always been gunky?

Is there any change to the colour or type of eye discharge she has?

Is she rubbing her eyes?

When did you notice the lump in her ear?

Would you be able to send me some pictures please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (V51T1V1)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I noticed the ear yesterday

Ok, thank you for those.

The mass in her ear could be a couple of things. It looks like it may be what we call a ceruminous (oil) gland adenoma which is a benign (not cancerous) tumor that grows in the ear canal of our pets. These masses may or may not cause problems for Chino depending on their size etc. Looking at this one, she may be at increased risk for an ear infection there because it's covering part of her ear canal. You may notice her becoming a little hard of hearing on that side too. There is a possibility that this may be a cancerous tumor so my advice would be to book an appointment with your vet to assess her ear and the size of the mass. Your vet may also take a fine needle aspirate sample (small needle is inserted into the tumor to collect cells for analysis) or a biopsy (a piece of the tumor is cut away and sent to a lab for analysis) These samples are the only way to determine if the tumor is cancerous or not. If the tumor is quite superficial your vet may also advise removal of the whole mass which will resolve any negative effects in the short term.

An appointment should be made soon, but it's not an emergency if Chino is happy and comfortable and she's not scratching her ear excessively, or there is a bad smell or discharge from her ear. If you see any blood or pus etc around her ear then she should see a vet immediately at that time.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m a client of the PDSA so need to make an appointment there

Her eye looks sore, poor little lady. It looks like one eye is worse than the other. Chino may have some bacterial conjunctivitis (inflammation of the delicate tissue around the eyeball due to bacteria) at the moment which is causing that color of discharge and some antibiotic eye drops would be the best treatment for her for this. For antibiotic treatments, she would have to see your vet.

This may be due to allergies to pollen etc so to help with that inflammation you could give her a half a 4mg tablet of piriton (human product available in the chemist) twice per day.

Chino may also suffer from what is called Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca (KCS, also known as Dry Eye) where she isn't producing enough tears to lubricate her eye. You could get a lubricating eye gel from your chemist over the counter to help with this (product such as Vidisic or Optixcare, but your pharmacist will be able to advise you what product they have available; once there is no antibiotic or steroid in the gel it will be ok to use for Chino). These would need to be applied twice per day after gently cleaning her eye with cooled boiled water as you have been doing.

Making an appointment with the PDSA is difficult at the moment due to the current Covid-19 situation so it's fine to wait for a while to get Chino's ear checked out unless she develops any of the signs I described before.

You can also try the over the counter eye treatments for up to 7 days to see if that improves her eye discharge. If it hasn't improved by that time then you can make an appointment at that stage. If the eye drops help then you will most likely need to continue giving it to her long term.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thank you

No problem at all, if there's anything else I can help with please just ask. Have a good day.