Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

We’re quite concerned about our dog Tilly as a black circle

Customer Question

Hey, we’re quite concerned about our dog Tilly as a black circle that looks slightly cloudy has developed over her left eye in addition to a black circle at the bottom of the black eye. She is 10, has arthritis and is allergic ibuprofen.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Michael for having a look in our Tilly

Thank you for the excellent photo. I see both pigmentary keratitis (the black spot/inflammation of the cornea) and more diffuse corneal inflammation as evidenced by the brown pigmentation and clouding. This is best addressed with a potent ophthalmic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone or dexamethasone. It's important that Tilly's vet perform basic testing on this eye prior to prescribing a steroid: Schirmer tear test to assess quality of quantity of tear production, fluorescein staining to assess the integrity of the cornea, and intraocular pressure assessed to determine of with uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma (increased eye pressure) is present.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Michael. Tilly tears up a lot and has a constant stream out of her eyes. Could this be related to glaucoma or inflammation of the iris?

Yes, but I suspect her epiphora (excessive tears) is more likely due to corneal discomfort. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We are concerned about cancer in the eye so this is helpful. Is it likely that she will go blind with or without treatment?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Our mum is concerned about eye cancer. Is this something that we need to consider or is it less likely?

I don't see evidence of cancer but a thorough eye exam with a handheld ophthalmoscope is the next step in such a search.

Yes, the cornea can be clouded further with pigment leading to loss of sight.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is she likely to be in pain?

Yes, as her epiphora demonstrates.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She hasn’t been herself lately so this would go some way to explain that
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is the steroid treatment likely to be life long or short course?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry for all the questions

Correct. Do your best to have Tilly's vet attend to her at your earliest convenience. I understand your logistical constraints during these strange times.

Most likely lifelong.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We are going to try get an appointment in the morning. Is there anything else that would be helpful for us to consider or do to support her while awaiting the appointment? We don’t want her to be in pain if we can alleviate it in any way.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Would paracetamol or anything help in the interim?

Yes, paracetamol dosed at 15 mg/kg thrice daily is safe.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok that’s really helpful for us to know.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We really appreciate that as a family. We’ll get the appointment first thing in the morning and will be sure to update you. Thanks again, Michael

It's my pleasure. Hope to hear from you soon.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Last question, my mum is worried we might overdosed he dog- she takes 2 paracetamol tablets per day for her arthritis, by our calculation she could have another half a tablet per day if they are 500g each. Is that correct?

How much does your dog weigh, please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
29.5 kgs

15 mg/kg x 30 kg = 450 mg every 8 hours. 500 mg every 8 hours is safe.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for clarifying. We hope you have a lovely day, especially with all that’s going on in the world at the moment.

You're quite welcome.