Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I spoke to a vet a couple of days ago about my dog pippa so

I spoke to a vet a couple of days ago about my dog pippa so i have another question can i get some thing from a shop to help my dog go to the toiet she has not being for at least 4 days
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
Is she constipated?
Otherwise, is she ok; eating, drinking and going on walks?
Finally, is she on any medicine or does she have any medical issues?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i think she may be constipated she can not walk at all i have to carry her out to the garden she has gone off her food and water
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
she is not on any medication
Ok, so this is a lot more serious than just constipation.
It may be that there is nerve damage making it impossible for her to empty her bowels.
If not already done, it is important to have her assessed by a vet to determine what is going on as she likely needs some pain relief and anti inflammatory medicine at a minimum.
To help dogs pass poo , we aim to increase their moisture consumption (more water, wet food, add water to food) and can give Lactulose in their mouth via syringe on the tip of their tongue. This is an over the counter laxative and the dose is 5mls for a tiny dog and up to 20mls for a giant breed. It can be given twice daily , as needed.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have being trying to get hold of the PDSA i was on the phone yesterday and no one answered the phone i don't know there emergencey number for out of working time
Which pdsa are you nearest to?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Bradford
Ok, sure. They are open at 9am today so you should be able to get through shortly.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i will try and get through to them will i be able to a syringe with this lactulose
You should be able to purchase a syringe form a chemist, yes.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok thank you for your help to day i will go and get some of this Lactulose from the chemist