Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Yesterday I bought my dog to work with me but forgot his

Yesterday I bought my dog to work with me but forgot his food so I boiled up some potatoes carrots and chicken breasts. But I think I may have given him to much because he’s eaten this before and been fine with it. But this morning he has been having diarrhoea, then it started lookin a bit red in his poo,then he was sick. So I took him for a long walk then he kept pooing(diarrhoea) every 5 minutes. But near the end of the walk he was trying to poo but nothing was coming out except what looked like drops of blood(but I’m not sure if it was just really reddish runny poo or blood) but it was coming out in drops? What do you think?

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank u

Sorry to hear this. Is sounds like he may have developed colitis (inflammation in his large bowel), this would fit with the symptoms you describe.

I would treat with a bland diet (boiled chicken/rice/pasta or scrambled egg) and a probiotic medication such as prokolin or canikur.

If symptoms do not improve over the next 48hrs,he seems lethargic or the diarrhoea becomes profuse then a veterinary checkup would be advisible.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I dont usually feed him food I cook myself ,that was just a one off,or When I forget his food
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I always feed him these healthy meals
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
https://butternutbox.com/dashboard/subscription
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I didn’t really want to change his food again

It could be that the change in the diet has triggered things but it doesn't sound like you fed him anything overly inappropriate

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
your saying to just monitor him?

Perhaps you were not able to see my previous reply

Is sounds like he may have developed colitis (inflammation in his large bowel), this would fit with the symptoms you describe.

A probiotic medication such as prokolin or canikur paste may help to ease his symptoms.

If he does not improve over the next 48hrs,he seems lethargic, experiences further vomiting or the diarrhoea becomes profuse then a veterinary checkup would be advisible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok,apologies
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I get this from a pet shop?

Yes or from your local veterinary practice

I believe it is available at pets at home.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank u very much
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ll go right away

Great. I hope he is on the mend soon. Do let me know if you have any further questions.

If I could just trouble you to help me by leaving me a rating using the stars at the top of the screen. It enables Just Answer to credit me for my time. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank u ,will do

Many thanks. I've just noticed that you are in the USA, similar products should be available but the brand names may be different.