DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

My whippet had a tumer cut off her leg, 11days ago, it had

Customer Question

My whippet had a tumer cut off her leg, 11days ago, it had scabbed over, last night she got her cone coller off and has licked it completely open again, should I rebandage it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ember
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ember?
Customer: She was on penaclinin, which she's now finished
Category: Dog
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Dr. Paul Brazzell here. I have thirty years of small animal experience.

I am sorry that you are having troubles with your pet

My job here is to determine whether or not he or she needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things at home

I will do my best to sort things out for you and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs

That said, the more history I have the better the job I can do

Are you able to send me a photo of the incision?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (LZP3VM3)
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

I have the photo now and am reviewing it

Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

Okay, are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

Great.

Well the bad news is that this is not going to be amenable to surgical closure. There is no way that they will be able to bring those edges together.

There are really two options: Let it heal by second intention-> just let mother nature form granulation tissue and then have the surface re-epithelialize on its own

Have them put a mesh-expansion graft on there now

The second option will give a very nice resolution but is obviously much more expensive

The first option will take longer and require many bandage changes as it heals and will not be as cosmetic

Paul

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I bandage it then?
Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

I would have them remove the sutures for you as they will impede healing and then I would have your vet show you how to bandage the leg and get your the necesaary matreials. There is a specific way we want to do this to ensure it heals

Paul

Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

Did you have more questions?

Expert:  DocPaul replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?