Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I have 3 dogs which all have fleas and they all need

Customer Question

Hi..i have 3 dogs which all have fleas and they all need worming
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I have Smokey who is 12 and weighs 24 'll.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Smokey Goldwater
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Flat and segmented (look like little boxcars) worms that dry up to look like little pieces of rice are tapeworms and you can purchase an over the counter wormer containing praziquantel and give it just once. You'll need to optimize your flea control as well, as the most common cause of tapeworms is the ingesting of a flea containing a larval tapeworm.

Roundworms are cylindrical and perhaps coiled. You can find an over the counter product containing pyrantel and give it today and again in two weeks to rid your dogs of roundworms.

You can see how the over the counter topicals Advantage/Advocate or fipronil-containing products such as Frontline work for your dogs but please note that many populations of fleas are now resistant to these products. You still have the option of over the counter nitenpyram (Capstar, generics) which is an oral product that kills 99% of fleas within 30 minutes of ingestion. The over the counter Seresto flea collar is another good choice. Flea shampoos, powders, and sprays have lost their efficacy against fleas.
Their vet carries one of the newer prescription isoxasole-class parasiticide products such as Bravecto, Credelio, NexGard, and Simparica. All of these are excellent choices as fleas haven't developed resistance to them to date. Most important is treating your premises as well. Consider an over the counter premise spray such as Siphotrol which contains the insect growth regulator (IGR) methoprene which prevents fleas eggs and larvae from developing into adult fleas. The IGRs have revolutionized how we treat flea infestation. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.