Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Our 4 month old puppy has gone from having diarrhoea on

Hi, our 4 month old puppy has gone from having diarrhoea on Tuesday and Wednesday to now not pooping since 5am this morning (which was orange diarrhoea).
We’ve fed him Scrambled eggs and 2 chicken breasts with rice already today But he’s still hungry.Any advice? Are we doing something wrong?
Worried he’s now constipated
This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 20 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case. Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. However, if you wish to keep typing. We can message all here.I am here to provide as much relevant information and guidance that I can, but I am unable to legally prescribe medications or make a final diagnosis. Any recommendations I make will be limited by lack of a physical examination. In many cases I may end up recommending your pet to be seen by a veterinarian for further assistance or you may still wish to have a physical examination with a veterinarian at a clinic.If you can send pictures to review it will be most helpful.
What breed, weight? Dewormed already ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he’s had all his vaccinations. He got diarrhoea on Tuesday morning at around 4am and It continued until this morning until 5am. There has been a small amount of bloody but not much. We gave him chicken and carrots and rice last night and his diarrhoea at 5am this morning was orange. He hasn’t popped since and in the meantime he’s had scrambled egg and rice for breakfast and since then 2 boiled chicken breasts and rice and he’s still looking for more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m worried to feed him more in case it’s bad for him and is making him constipated
If had lots of diarrhea. The GI tract may be more cleaned out and May not have stools for a few days. It is good still wants to eat.
The GI tract is full of bacteria, there is the normal flora and at times this flora can alternate not the most normal flora, when this happens the stools can get loose. Changes in diet, stress, etc. all can have an effect on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading to looser stools. The following can help the GI tract to feel better also.Psyllium (active ingredient in Metamucil ) can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract also.We can rest the GI tract and offer hamburger or chicken and rice. This will be softer on the lining of the GI tract and is very appetizing to help maintain appetite too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I have also got some pro-kolin to put on his next bowl of food. So we wouldn’t be over-feeding him if we give him a third chicken breast with rice this evebing? He’s about 10kgs
It is good to keep well fed and plenty of fluid intake also. If he is hungry. Keep him eating more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
We can keep this message open for some days. If more questions arise. Please keep me updated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I appreciate that
You are more than welcome. Best of success and have a good day. Dr Mike