Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has developed cataract like sysmptoms on eyes hearing

He has developed cataract like sysmptoms on eyes hearing loss extreme urination I am worried he may be diabetic he is miniature schnauzer and is 7 years old
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His behaviour is just not typical and he seems quite despondent and anxious no weight loss noticeable I am diabetic type 1 and know symptoms he is sleeping a lot too
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I 100% agree with you, especially given the cataracts.
Drinking more than 100mls/kg/day is classified as definite over drinking but any increase is worth looking into.
Diabetes is very easily diagnosed through either a blood or urine test and your local vet should be able to do this, even during lockdown.
If he is diabetic, we often treat this with a combination of insulting injections and diet and most dogs respond wonderfully well.