Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

He is almost 12 years old and beginning to lose strength in

Customer Question

He is almost 12 years old and beginning to lose strength in his hind legs especially his rear right and I wondered if Helix given on a regular basis would help him . He is a really good looking black labrador and so faithful.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I wish to know if Helix elixer, the biproduct from snails would help my black labrador as he is beginning to lose power in his hind quarters and the problem is coming from his spine.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It's difficult to say but he finds difficulty in jumping into the back seat of the car.
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** rescued him nearly 5 years ago and from an advert on Gumtree !
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taz?
Customer: Yes, he appears to have a heart murmur, and my vet provides a prescription for a daily tablet called Benazecare.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear this. As far as I am aware there is no evidence of any benefits of using this product in dogs, or any real reports of it's use effectiveness or safety at all, so therefore I cannot recommend it.

I would however recommend trying a good quality canine joint supplement such as Yumove Advance, see https://yumove.co.uk/products/yumove-advance-360-for-dogs

This product is only currently available through vets, so I would enquire with them about it. The active ingredient - Green Lipped Muscle extract has proven anti inflammatory properties.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to see my previous response?

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 year ago.

Just checking that I have adequately answered your question and you are happy for me to close it now?