Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog is constantly scratching his ears to the point where

My dog is constantly scratching his ears to the point where they were bleeding a bit. I took him to get his ears cleaned and they told me he has an infection. I bought drops and ear wipes and have been using them daily for about a week. His ears seem clear e g normal colour and no apparent blockages etc but he keeps scratching. Is it mites? Should I take him to the vet?

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like he may well have an ear infection which is likely to necessitate a course of antibiotic ear drops, these can only be provided by your vet. They will also need to examine the ear and possibly examine a sample of the discharge to determine what type of infection is taking place. Any underlying causes such as skin allergy, narrow ear canals or ear hair also needs to be addressed. I certainly would advise taking him to the vets at the earliest opportunity.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.