Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

When my 8 week puppy sniffs and try digging to the carpets I

when my 8 week puppy sniffs and try digging to the carpets I try to take him out to the garden to poop but whenever i try to put him on a leash to do this and put my shoes on hi resents ang goes straight to his crate? What can I do?

Good morning! I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

What does Ianto do when you put the leash on him indoors, with no intention of going outside?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he hasn’t been on a leash indoors that mush as he tends to go a bit wilde when I try to out it on him..he tend to start barking and biting. Should I try keeping the leash on him during the day

Unfortunatley I can't do phone calls right now, it is an automated message. However your request has gone in the queue for a vet to pick up.

I would get a lightweight lead or house line (lead with no loop at the end) and let it trail after him inside. If he really hates it and won't move, then keep his favorite treat so the only time he gets it is when he is wearing the lead. Some dogs can be quite funny about leads and collars and I have had dogs not walk forwards for two days with a lead on until they realised they could still move!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I have a training lead so I will try that. How often do puppies tends to need to poop during the day after breakfast

For small puppies I'd be going out every 2 hours during the day, including first thing in the morning, after eating and after a nap. You should be able to gradually reduce it as the pup gets older.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his good first thing in the morning but during the day it really difficult to get him to go even if I stay out for at least 30 munits

Unfortunately it's just patience until the penny drops and he realises what he's meant to do.

You could try reducing the number of times he goes out and try to time it for when he usually tends to go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks I will try that’s

You are very welcome. Let me know how he's getting on!