Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog vomited all day, did not eat, and now just vomited

Customer Question

Hello! My dog vomited all day, did not eat, and now just vomited some water liquid with a bit of blood
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. The only possibility could be in the park when I did not see him
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Bobby, 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bobby?
Customer: Don t think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 2 months ago.
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda
I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly.
How is Bobby?
Does he have any medical issues or is he on any medicine?
Will he eat this morning?
Are his gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello! He did not have any medical issues. His gums were never pink. They are a dark colour but a bit wet, yes. He drunk water last night and vomited again in this morning. He refuses to eat his food. I am trying now to boil a bit of chicken maybe he wants to eat it
Ok sure, black gums are likely his normal pigmentation but as long as they are wet to touch (like ours) this makes dehydration unlikely.
We definitely want to ensure he eats the chicken and holds it down as otherwise he risks developing low blood sugar.
Is he lethargic this morning?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he just refused the chicken and does not want to go for a walk
Ok, so my concern is that at this stage he likely does need veterinary intervention, especially at his age.
We need to assess him in case of an underlying cause such as pancreatitis or a bacterial infection.
As there was some blood in his vomit we also want to ensure he is not anaemic and there is no evidence of internal bleeding.
Hopefully it is something as simple as him needing some time and perhaps an anti nausea injection to perk him up but, at this stage, he should be checked over.

Hi there, how is Bobby getting on now?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in for the final time as this question remains open. Can I be of any further assistance?