Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is refusing to eat her food. We have changed it to

Hi, My dog is refusing to eat her food. We have changed it to check if she had gone off that type. I bought her an expensive 80% meat brand and she is still hit and miss.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Tala age 2 and 2 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tala?
Customer: She is still acting like herself, lots of energy on the beach. She also looks for human food and has been recently trained more on treats. She will always eat these.
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
It is important to establish whether she is unwell or has become fussy and is trying to get treats and tastier food from you.
Has she had any weight loss at all?
Any symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea or lethargy?
What will she eat on a 'bad eating' day?
Does she get any chews, treats or dental sticks?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes I agree, she had diarrhoea about a week ago and we wormed her as she was due to check it wasn't that. I don't know for sure if she has lost weight, on a bad day she will eat around 75 grams of wet food and around 6 raw meat treats, the trouble is since we have been home she has 3 adults giving her tit bits of what we are eating, she loves carrots for example and my husband will give her a bit of meat or cheese if he goes to get anything from the fridge. So this is hard to determine. I am guilty of giving her a few bits if she hasn't eaten properly as I'm worried she is hungry.
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
It would be sensible to get a baseline weight and check this once a week for now as if it remains stable we can be reassured she is getting enough calories.
We also want to assess her body condition score so we know she is a healthy wieght. This website explains how: https://www.vets4pets.com/services/body-condition-scoring/
With regards ***** ***** meat treats, many of these are high in calories so it is worth checking this out. Treats should never make up more than 10% of our dog's daily calories.
Similarly, things like meat and cheese are usually too calorific unless given very seldom. When we consider that 10kg dog needs 400 calories a day and one sausage is 300 calories, we can see how quickly we fill them up on treats.
I would suggest going right back to basics and determining her daily calorie requirement, weighing out her food according to the back of her pack and paring treats right back.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you that's helpful. Tala's body condition is healthy. I will weigh her today and reduce treats significantly.
Sounds good. She may not like it and go on a bit of a hunger strike initially to test you, but hold firm!
As you requested a phone call please do double check this was not charged. If it was, customer services should be able to refund you promptly if you let them know.