Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is constipated he has a blockagein the back passage

My dog is constipated he has a blockagein the back passage and although he tries he cannot move it. He is a small and very agressive dog will noy lrt me hep him.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: BUSTER. 7yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: No he is terrible for picking up tissues and eating them when we are out also as i mentioned he is not a friendly dog
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Buster has this issue.
Constipation alone is not common in dogs and straining usually has an underlying cause.
For example, if he is not neutered ,we would consider prostate hyperplasia. If he is straining a lot and not producing much, he may have a colitis (inflamed gut) etc.
If he did have a blockage, these usually show up in the stomach and upper intestine and cause symptoms such as reduced appetite and vomiting. As the large intestine is bigger, it would be rare to have a blockage at that end.
Of course, if he has dried poo or a clump of fur covering the anus, this could be the issue and would need to be clipped off. If this is impossible for you, you may need to have him mildly sedated at the vet so they can do it (or they may be able to do it with a muzzle and a nurse holding him).
If he is truly constipated, giving 5mls of lactulose twice daily should shift things quickly, but as I say, this is rarely the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating ok I think it may be dried poo causing the blockage he won let me near him to try and cut it away as you say it might be a job for the vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take him to the vet tomorrow if I am unable to do anything myself thank you
I understand; that is not an uncommon issue.
At the same time, the vet can also ensure his anal glands are empty and (if not castrated) his prostate is ok.
Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.