Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Why is my dog eating it’s own faeces?

Why is my dog eating it’s own faeces?

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Is this a new behaviour or has he done it for a long time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He’s done it for a long time

OK. Coprophagia can occur due to either behavioural or medical reasons. Medical reasons include dietary deficiency or intestinal malabsorbtion.

What diet is he on? Does he show any diarrhoea/soft stools or weight loss? Is he regularly wormed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He’s on tinned food, he does sometimes! And yes he’s wrk regularly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wormed

Assuming a complete, appropriate quality diet and no underlying medical problems causing weight loss or regular diarrhoea then a behavioural cause may be likely. If he is having regular diarrhoea then a veterinary examination and investigations such as faecal analysis would be advisible to help rule out this as a cause.

You could try a product such as Copronil if we suspect this is more behavioural in nature, however the long he has been doing this the harder it will be to stop him https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-digestive-supplements-c-5_1175/copro-nil-behaviour-aid-for-coprophagia-400g-p-4866

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s £16 isn’t it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh right I see ok thankyou

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any further information