Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My whippet keeps giving these anguished yelps every so often

My whippet keeps giving these anguished yelps every so often which is very distressing for her and for me to hear. I can’t see any obvious injury but something is wrong somewhere.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your whippet?
Customer: She keeps yelping every so often
JA: Where does your whippet seem to hurt?
Customer: I can’t see any obvious injury but it may be her mouth
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No apart from she licks round her mouth now and again
JA: Is your whippet eating normally?
Customer: She seems to be - this has only come on this evening
JA: Is your whippet having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: No
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your whippet behaving differently?
Customer: She looks really sad and walking around slowly and shivering-I know whippets do shiver but this isn’t normal for her
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your whippet?
Customer: She’s always had a tendency every now and then if you touch her ears, neck to yelp but when I’ve taken her to the vets and they’ve felt round those areas she hasn’t reacted. Then sometimes we can just be fondling her ears and she’ll let out a yelp
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please can you help

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Sorry to hear this. It certainly does sound like she may be in pain, but without a full examination we cannot say why. Joint, back, muscular, abdominal or oral pain are all possibilities. If symptoms are persisting today then a check up with your vet would certainly be advisible to help pinpoint the nature of her discomfort and advise on the most appropriate course of action such as pain relieving medication or further tests like xrays.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.