Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

He keeps liking near to him bum which feels lumpy and

Customer Question

He keeps liking near to him bum which feels lumpy and appears a little red. He is very quiet and withdrawn and just lying down all the time which is not usual for him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He his licking close to his bum all the time which is lumpy to touch and looks red. He is quiet and withdrawn
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Max and he is just 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Laura Henderson replied 19 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

I cannot do phone calls right now, so please ignore any messages asking about them that appear to come from me, they are automated and I can't stop them.

Poor Max, is the red lump just next to his anus?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 19 days ago.

It sounds like he has an anal gland abscess. This is where one of the anal glands get inflamed and infected. It will burst in a few days and relieve the pressure. Most require antibiotics and pain relief, so I would give your vet a call to get an appointment booked for him.

Meanwhile we can work out a dose of paracetamol for him, to give him some pain relief unil you can get to your vet. Do you know roughly what weight he is?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He weighs approximately 7 kilos. I have some pain killer given by the to me when he was neutered in March would that work until he goes to the vet when he has an appointment on Monday

That would work perfectly for him.

The anal glands are two small infoldings of skin that sit about 4 0'clock and 8o'clock relative to the anus. Recurring infections here, or if he has an itchy bum all the time, can be a sign of allergic skin disease. If he chews or licks his feet and toes, or has recurring ear problems, or is itchy anywhere else, it may be worth bringing this up with your vet when you see them.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome. I hope Max is feeling a bit more comfortable soon.

Laura