Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is shaking when breathing in

My dog is shaking when breathing in
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
What age and breed is your dog?
How long has this been going on?
Any other symptoms such as coughing, panting, retching or lethargy?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi, hes a shitzu cross with a poodle, since this morning, hes been quite sleepy
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hes 12 months
Ok, and no other symptom.
Is he breathing more than 30 times a minute?
Any potential cause e.g. getting overheated, eating something he shouldnt or an injury?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No hes not, he got into my bathroom bin last week I think he's eatin tampons from out the bin he was sick an brough one back up that same day
With regards ***** ***** obstruction from that we would be looking for signs such as a reduced appetite, vomiting and altered bowel habits (diarrhoea or constipation). You may also notice a tense or bloated tummy. Is this the case?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hes still got his appetite an he only vomited once an he brought atampon back up that time, hes not got diarrhoea hes just quite sleepy
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hes just been like.tbis for most of the day
Oh, bless him.
That's somewhat reassuring regarding his appetite and the fact that it was just one vomit. An obstruction from a tampon is unlikely.
With symtpoms of lethargy and shaking, it is hard to say for sure what is going on as these are quite vague and non specific symptoms which can be seen in a number of diseases and conditions including physical injuries, abdominal pain, heat stroke etc.
If he is acting very unlike himself to the point it is concerning you, I would recommend a vet check today. He can have an all over exam and the vet will listen to heart and lungs and check for a fever.
He may simple need a course of anti inflammatories or pain relief, but I do think it would be sensible to have him checked over just in case.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you I will give his vets a call
Not at all. Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi i rang the vets about norris an they wouldnt see him they have given him something called loxicom an somthing called amox/clav now hes still shaking but not as much, hes eating fine but hes not drank anything today. The vet did say it could be his anal glands an they will burst on there own. Could you give me your opinion on this please

I'm glad he is on medicine and the loxicom would help with any pain, inflammation or fever while the antibiotics should treat most infections.

If he is not drinking, I would want to ensure there is some water in the food he is eating e.g. wet food vs kibble and that his gums are wet (dry gums can indicate dehydration).

While anal glands can burst, this is not something we would want to happen. So, ideally we would have them examined and if they are full or infected they should be squeezed.