Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Today I have noticed some redness/inflammation around my

Hello,Today I have noticed some redness/inflammation around my dog’s anus. Apparently, it has developed over the last couple days. The dog is about 20 months old, she has chronic kidney disease but I can’t believe it’s related. She is not scooting, there is no unusual foul smell coming out, her rectal function is fine (had 2 normal poos today). There hasn’t been any noteworthy change in her food recently. She has never had this issue before, so I am wondering if this could be a cause for concern. Your advice would be appreciated. I can post a photo of the inflamed area.Thank you,
Alex Moroz

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Rosie. Can you post that picture here so I can see what you're seeing? Are her stools of normal consistency here in the last few days? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, Dr Bruce. Yes, her stools have been normal and consistent. She is eating and drinking well, also playful and active as usual. The picture is attached.

Very good job on the picture! Alright, that little pink area at the rectal opening shouldn't be any issue at all. She may be scooting / rubbing it when not seen. It honestly is very, very, very mild and I wouldn't feel anything major needs to be done. You can clean that rectal region with a baby wipe twice a day to help remove any material that may be building up back there and somewhat irritating it. Other than that, I don't see any big worry here.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok, thanks. Good to hear! We’ll keep cleaning and see if it goes away.

I would have high hopes that this won't be a big issue. :)

Thank you for the accept and bonus! It is very much appreciated. Have a great day!