Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog had a bad case of AHGE and stayed in the vets over

My dog had a bad case of AHGE and stayed in the vets over night where he received an IV and steroids.
He was back home last night and had a bit of diarrhea in the morning but we didn’t think much of it as there was no blood; this evening when he went to the toilet he had black/red diarrhea and then later some more blood. I have provided pictures.Vets did not give any antibiotics as they said he did not have blood in his stool last night.Is this just part of the recovery process, or is it cause for concern?*He has been reluctant to eat plain chicken and rice but was happy to have a small portion of his usual kibble. He has also been taking water without throwing up so far.

Thank you for requesting me. I know HGE, but what is AHGE?

Is he eating? Has he vomited since coming home? This may be part of the recovery process and may continue until the lining of his colon is healed.

Please post your pictures here.

Please let me know if you are seeing my responses and if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
The vet said hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.He is eating a little bit and but not like normal.Here are pictures of his stool 2hrs ago.
Customer: replied 1 day ago.

Pretty bloody. It is undigested blood (still red) so this indicated an inflamed colon lining. You can try something like Pepto Bismol if you have that in the UK over the counter.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I’ll try to buy tomorrow

What does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
9.5 kg

He can take 1 to 2 teaspoons of Pepto Bismol twice daily.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Ok thank you

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions.

Stay safe. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. You can still send me updates and ask questions after rating, by going to My Questions on the Just Answer website. Thanks for using our site.

Thanks for the positive rating.