Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I ordered a fecal analysis for my dog, which has come back

Customer Question

Hi I ordered a fecal analysis for my dog, which has come back positive for campylobacter. I am looking at how I can get a prescription to get rid of it. She has had it before
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: Campylobacter
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn;t hurt she has a gut infection
JA: There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Karma, 9-10 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karma?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Path report attached
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for the lab report. The first thing to mention here is that campylobacter is often found as a 'commensal' organism in dogs, this means that many healthy/normal dogs carry it. Only a few strains actually cause disease and even then it is usually self limiting within 10 days. It may be worth asking the lab of they offer campylobacter typing PCR, this can tell us if it is a pathogenic strain or not, in many cases it won't be, so treatment will not be needed.

If it was pathogenic and we thought it could be causing clinical sigms I. E Diarrhoea, then your vet would need to prescribe the treatment required (usually Erythromycin), as UK law does not allow this to be prescribed online.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

Just checking if you needed any further help or advice?