JeanneV630
JeanneV630, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
109423971

Our black Labrador dog is now wetting the bed. She hasn’t

Good afternoonOur black Labrador dog is now wetting the bed. She hasn’t changed food type, and does not have the runs. We moved her into a new bigger kennel in the back garden two months ago, and it seems to take her a while to have settled into it.We were wondering if it is perhaps normal, or indicative of a urinary tract infection perhaps.

Good morning. I'm Jeanne , a uk based vet. Jess is beautiful! Is Jess sterilised? when did she start wetting the bed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you! She hasn’t been spayed as we may want to have a litter one day. She started wetting the bed about once a week since she’s moved into her new kennel. She’s in good spirits however.

Thank you for the additional information. The reason I asked wether she was sterilised is because it is common for sterilised female dogs to become incontinent due to hormonal changes. As she is already 5 years old, I would advise against breeding her as she will have a increased risk of developing complications. She is also at an increased risk of developing a uterine infection and my recommendation would be to sterilise her as soon as possible. When did she have her last season?

With regards ***** ***** her bed, it is important to establish wether is is a medical or behavioural problem. It would be a good idea to start with a urine sample that your vet can evaluate to look for signs of crystals, glucose, bacteria and abnormal cells . Your vet will be able to give you a sterile container to collect the sample with , it is important to get it back to your vet within 12 hours of her producing it in order for the results to be reliable. Does this sound reasonable ?