How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeanneV630 Your Own Question
JeanneV630
JeanneV630, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 77
Experience:  Expert
109423971
Type Your Dog Question Here...
JeanneV630 is online now

MY greyhound lurcher had a seizure one week ago. Although he

Customer Question

MY greyhound lurcher had a seizure one week ago. Although he has had no more and is eating and drinking nornally, quite often after a littlle activity, he whines and pants.
This lasts afew minutes and then goes, a cuddle seems to help disperse the trauma.
He is 11 years old and normally very active, chasing rabbits etc.
I am giving him one half of a paracetamol tablet 3 times a day in case he has pain.
I am very worried that these episodes are still continuing. Can you advise me please!
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JeanneV630 replied 10 days ago.

Good morning. I’m Jeanne , a U.K. based vet. I’m sorry to hear that your dog isn’t doing well. What is his name? There are many things that can lead to seizures. The first step would be to start with blood work to rule out metabolic causes . If his blood work is normal and the seizures continue the next step would be an mri and csf Tap to rule out space occupying lesions and other causes in the brain. You should be giving a maximum of 10mg/kg paracetamol twice daily so please make sure you aren’t giving him too much. If he is still painful despite the paracetamol he may need stronger pain relief.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks. Blood results and ecg appear normal will continue paracetamol as you recommend. If further problems will contact you.
Expert:  JeanneV630 replied 10 days ago.

That’s great news, if the seizures continue I would suggest an mri . If you decide to not do further investigations but the seizures continue it would be reasonable to start anti epileptic drugs . This window will still be open for a few days so I’m happy to answer further questions you may have . Please rate my answer if you get a chance . It’s always good to get feedback .