Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I got my puppy last Saturday. He is 8 weeks old. The breeder

Customer Question

Hi, I got my puppy last Saturday. He is 8 weeks old.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your puppy?
Customer: The breeder gave me some of the biscuits he is on, so I gave him them with water, but about an hour or 2 later he regurgitated the food up. He kept doing it most the evening, we thought he had eaten too quickly But then on Sunday the same He went vets Monday they checked him and was ok no temperature and he doesn't have the runs
JA: The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: He has been given small portions of chicken and rice since Monday, but is still bringing the food up It seems to be worse in the morning He isn't unwell and still has energy He is a labrador collie cross
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is hungry, and always wanting food. He seems alert, an doesn't appear unwell
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has been on small portions of chicken and rice since Monday, I give him just chicken in the morning, then add the rice in the afternoon, but he is sick usually about an hour after eating this
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It's more a regurgition, and he will eat it back. But nothing seems to settling in his stomach
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Have you come across this before? Any recommendations on what to feed him?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is a labrador border collie cross
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear he is unwell.
Pups can vomit for a number of reasons including infections, parasites, change of diet, obstruction etc
The main things is that he is well, has pink and wet gums, is happy to eat and is holding in some nutrition.
I would want to ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.
I would also make sure there are no potential toxins in the environment such as weedkiller, lawn feed, toxic plants etc
We need to be conscious of the risk of an obstruction, for example if he has swallowed plastic or a sock. If he becomes unwell or the vomitint continues, he would need to be assessed and may need an xray.
It may also be worth trying a probiotic paste such as Protexin prokolin to settle his stomach. This can be given for 3 days and can be purchased from most pet shops, online or from a vet clinic without prescription.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been pooing normally, they were solid, only yesterday it was a little runny as he has been mainly on chicken so it made him a bit constipated, so food is going through so it doesn't seem to be a blockage
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When he was sick yesterday, quite a lot of food was brought up, and it was 3 hours inbetween the meals so it seems he isn't breaking down the food quickly
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is due to be wormed,
But if he had worms would I see it in his sick or poo?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The vets gave him an anti sickness jab on Monday, but that didn't seem to work
Thank you for this additional information and I apologise for the delayed response.
Most puppies have worms and we do not always see them in the stool so it would certainly be worth worming him.
It's worth considering a partial obstruction as dogs may still pass stool, even when obstructed. I would not rule it out at this stage. Vomiting despite an anti sickness jab can be a sign of an obstruction and they are relatively common in puppies.
Hopefully it is not an obstruction and he improves quickly but we should consider further diagnostic testing if there is no improvement soon.
Another consideration would be a congenital issue such as a persistent right aortic arch which can cause regurgitation and would also be diagnosed on an xray.
Is this all ok? How is Louie getting on today?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, I have given him just chicken today, an so far he has been fine. Going to keep him on chicken today an see how he is, as I think it might have been the rice that was causing him to be sick maybe.
He is booked into the vets for his first jab tomorrow so I will get them to worm him.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If he is ok on chicken I will see if there is something I can put on his food for extra nutriants or milk
I'm glad he seems better, that's great news.
Chicken is fine short term but long term he would become deficient in important nutrients such as calcium and iodine so we would need to introduce a puppy food.
Milk often causes upset stomach so I would avoid this.
For today, you may wish to try a little potato or scrambled egg alongside the chicken.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have got him some pro plan sensive stomach puppy dry food, which I will introduce gradually, a few wet biscuits a day.
But I was wondering if puppy milk would be OK to give him until he is on more puppy food?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 6 days ago.
As I say, while it may be OK, some sensitive dogs are unable to digest it and it can cause stomach problems so I would hold off.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 3 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in. I hope Louie is now doing well?

Please feel free to ask any more questions you have.

If you are happy with the advice given, don't forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen. Thank you.