Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She's a 15 year old Lhasa apso and has been bleeding for 3

She's a 15 year old Lhasa apso and has been bleeding for 3 months after not having a season for years. She winners all day every day and is so skinny. I'm worried
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: You
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to have a painful spot
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, I will have to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. Any phone call request from my end comes from the website and not myself. Vets are prohibited by state board regulations from writing prescriptions based solely on online conversations. We can only give general information and possibilities on what might be going on or what tests might need to be ran to get a diagnosis. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take 5-10 minutes to type out a full response, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. I may not respond back to other posts until I am finished writing my response. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

You are referring to bleeding from her vulva correct?

Is she bleeding all the time, or does it come and go?

What color are her gums?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
from the vulva. It's all the time but some days it's little and others it's dripping... her gums are dark pink and black speckled

Thanks for the information. There are two things I would be concerned with at this point. Since it has been going on for 3 months, my first concern is cancer. That can be in the vaginal cavity or the uterus. Your vet may be able to see something with just a vaginal exam, but an ultrasound may be necessary if something is going on in the uterus. The other issue could be a serious infection in the uterus called a pyometra. Now, they will usually feel more sick with that issue, and we usually do not see them 3 months out from when it started because they are sick before then. Still, I would have your vet run some blood work and get an ultrasound or x-ray of the abdomen to rule that out. If it is a pyometra, then surgery to remove the uterus is usually necessary to resolve it. It is a life threatening infection, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your questions answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. VETS CANNOT WRITE PRESCRIPTIONS BASED ON ONLINE CONVERSATIONS. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much

You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.