Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a French/American Bulldog mix and he is 4 years old.

I have a French/American Bulldog mix and he is 4 years old. When he naps lately he’s be having seizures. They last about 10-15 seconds but happen 4-5 times a day.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ace
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply
Seizures are always something that must be investigated. This is so we can confirm that they are indeed seizures (sometimes other things like collapsing episodes or muscle tremors can mimic a seizure), determine the cahluse and decide on what therapy, if any, is most appropriate.
Check the home and environment for anything Ace could be getting to that could cause them such as toxic plants, paint, cleaning products etcI would suggest videoing the seizures when they next happen so you would be able to show them to your vet as this can provide a lot of helpful information.
Ace should be examined and the vet should include a neurological exam (ensuring his nerves are working as normal). We would normally also run a blood test to check for potential causes such as low blood sugar, high liver enzymes, high kidney enzymes etc.
If blood tests are normal, further tests can be run to rule out other potential causes such as a test for lungworm , an MRI scan etc.
If no underlying cause is found, he may have developed a condition called epilepsy. Though not curable, this can generally be managed well with medicine.
Seziures that are frequent (happening more than once a month- several times a day is a lot), last long (more than a couple of minutes) or that affect the dog's day to day life are usually treated with medicine. Anti seizure drugs can be very effective indeed and are typically given in food every day.
We would also tend to dispense a medicine called Diazepam which can be given during the seizure to help stop it.