JeanneV630
JeanneV630, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
109423971

My dog had vomiting and diarrhoea 3 weeks ago. The vet gave

My dog had vomiting and diarrhoea 3 weeks ago. The vet gave him an injection and some paste type medicine. He was fine for a couple of days but then vomited everywhere. I cut out the medication as I thought it was making him sick and he was fine for several days but then had renewed diarrhoea. I saw the vet again and he gave him an injection and some pills and food for sensitive stomachs and he was well for the next week. He had one bout of vomiting and then was lethargic and wouldn’t eat. I had gone away for a week so my minder rang the vet and sge got different medication. The next day she took him to the vet as he had now not eaten for three days. They said he hadn’t lost much weight in the last week and was quite alert and to come the next day if necessary. My husband took him and was told much the same things and given two more sets of pills. Over this last weekend he ate nothing and was clearly very ill. I took him back on Monday. By yhen he had lost 3.5 kilos over the period. The vet now put him on a drip for a few hours, took bloods which showed low cholesterol and protein and recommended a referral.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is an English Springer, aged 12.5 years.

Good morning.Im Jeanne , a U.K. based vet . I’m sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well. What is his name ?Low protein levels can be very serious . Usually protein gets lost through a dogs intestines , kidneys or in Some cases of advanced liver failure . From what you have described it sounds like your dog is loosing protein through his intestinal tract . Has he ever had episodes of vomiting or diarrhoea in the past ? Has he had any xrays to rule out a partial obstruction . There are multiple conditions that can lead to gastro intestinal protein loss . Inflammatory bowel disease , neoplasia , addisons and many other conditions can lead to the symptoms he is showing . I’m happy to answer any further questions and talk through your concerns . If his protein levels are very low he may need an albumin transfusion . If he hasn’t had imaging yet he’ll likely need an ultrasound and further imaging to get more information starting out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went to the referral place where they said they would start with scans and more bloods but said that even then, they would not be able to say if it were cancer or not. That would require an endoscopy. He is so very weak, now on his eighth day without food, that I hated the idea of his being put through a series of investigations, each more invasive than the last, when we might just end up with cancer after all. I decided to take him home and face the fact that this was the end. However, today he is much livelier and so very much himself that I feel I have done wrong by him. My vet says if this is my decision , euthanasia is the only route left.
I have lost faith in him through all this which is why I am writing to you.

I am sorry for the delayed response . I am just busy typing a response now. Would you prefer a phone call?

Further to our phone call. I’m happy that Jack will be going to Northdowns. If you have any further questions feel free to let me know. And please keep me updated on how he does if you get a chance. I hope he can be treated and that he recovers soon.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help and guidance. I went to North Downs and they confirmed extensive cancer. Jack has now been put to sleep but I know now it was the right decision and am comforted by that.

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must have been incredibly difficult but it was the right decision . I hope that knowing you did the right thing gives you some peace of mind . Jack was lucky to have such a caring owner and I’m sure he had a wonderful life.