Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is breathing very heavily and had a heightened heart

Customer Question

My dog is breathing very heavily and had a heightened heart beat rate
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this strange breathing happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the dog have a cough as well?
Customer: No. And no. Just started tonight. He was also off his food which NEVER Happens and puked.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charlie around 13.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I think his temp is elevated. I couldn't really check but he feels hotter than usual
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also his skin feels taut and dehydrated. And his muscles are all taut too. Like he is in pain or serious discomfort
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Please consider Charlie an emergent patient in need of the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. ...breathing very heavily...and tachycardia (elevated heart rate are hallmarks for significant respiratory compromise such as is seen with congestive heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, heartworm disease, pneumonia (bacterial, fungal, parasitic), collapsing windpipe/trachea - small dogs, mainly, and neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. Charlie's vet will want to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray his chest as part of a thorough physical exam. Time is of the essence as many of the above differentials are life-threatening.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yeah. That's what I thought. Thank you . I'll take him to the vet. Much obliged

You're quite welcome. My best to Charlie. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.