Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My 11 week old puppy has got a really deep, flemy cough, it

Customer Question

My 11 week old puppy has got a really deep, flemy cough
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the puppy had this cough? Is everything okay in terms of breathing?
Customer: it started yesterday, when he coughs it sounds like he’s struggling to breathe
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: tyson
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: our older dog has also got a cough, hers is drier but he’s potentially caught it from her
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi it said the wait time was 8 minutes but I’ve been waiting much longer than that. How much longer will it be?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this with Tyson. The symptoms you describe does sound consistent with kennel cough - an infectious upper respiratory tract infection, especially given the possible transmission from your older dog. Kennel cough is often vital in nature and self resolving in healthy dogs, however in the very young, very old or otherwise unwell it can proceed to a bacterial chest infection. Due to Tysons age I would advise taking him to your vet, as antibiotics may be required to prevent his condition worsening. He should also be kept away from other dogs until symptoms have fully resolved.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice. Best wishes for Tysons recovery.