Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Had diarrhea on and off for four weeks. Vet gave stomorgyl

Customer Question

had diarrhea on and off for four weeks. Vet gave stomorgyl and asked us to break the tablet in half for 7 days . ( which I have now seen you are not supposed to do!) Dog is now regurgitating at night and seems to be getting acid reflux symptoms. should I stop the antibiotic?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: We are not sure but think it could be caused by some high fat training treats which started this off. x-ray showed some inflamation of pancreas but blood tests and fecal tests are okay
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ettie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ettie?
Customer: no. she has been quite itchy and her diarhoea was yellow. The stools are now much firmer but still yellow. She has been on a diet of just white fish and rice for the last 14 days!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 8 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Thank you for choosing to use Just Answer.
I'm sorry to hear Ettie has had this issue.
What age and breed is she?
Does she still have diarrhoea?
Have any tests been run e.g. a faecal analysis?Its not uncommon for vets to split stomorgyl as there are limited dosing sizes and it can be tricky to not over dose, especially in small breeds.
Apologies, I have just seen the message RE diagnostic tests. That's reassuring.
Would you say the stool is close to normal consistency? How often is she going?
Finally, when did the Stomorgyl start?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi. Yes her stool is now normal consistency but still a bit yellow in colour, which we hope is due to the lack of veg and fibre for the last two weeks ( as she has been on fish and rice .) She is going once a day at the moment.
Ettie is 2 years 8 months and she is a female cavapoo who has been spayed.
She started the stomorgyl on thursday last week so has had 6 doses. She has one tablet left which she is supposed to have tonight and tomorrow. I understand that antibiotics course should be finished, but really don't want another night like last night . I dont know if it was acid reflux or just the bitterness of the antibiotic repeating on her, which made her regurgitate. She was much better when I made her sleep a bit more upright instead of lying flat and has not regurgitated so far today. Hence why I am wondering if I could try not giving her the antibiotic tonight ? If it's imperative to finish the course the could give tomorrow in the morning instead?. Thankyou
Thank you for this information, that's really helpful.
Certainly, a restricted diet like that could be the explanation for the yellow colour. Its great that the consistency is much better and this means her gut is healing/healed. We should aim to slowly reintroduce her regular diet over several days.
Once a day pooing is perfect!I would always be very reluctant to advise something other than what your vet has said (which would have been to finish the prescribed course). This is because they have all of Ettie's medical records and have examined her in person recently.
However, often I will give a 5 day course of Stomorgyl for similar issues so she has had a good course and it does seem as if the medicine has done its job.
The risk with stopping antibiotics early is that
1) We may not completely eliminate the infection and it could flare back up.
2) We may create a resistant infection i.e. all of the weaker bacteria have died and only a strong few remain.So, there is a small risk with stopping early.If we strongly feel the antibiotics are causing the regurgitation we have a few options.We could ensure we are giving the tablet at the same time as her main meal. As you say, they are bitter, especially if crushed or split. We should certainly not crush them. If she can sleep in that position; great, that may well help reduce acid flowing up her foodpipe.We could now stop as the tablets are licensed for treatments lasting 5-10 days and she has had this at this point. As mentioned, I would discuss this with her primary vet first in case they had a specific reason for the slightly longer course.If the issue continues, she may well need a course of antacids.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Is this all ok? Hopefully Ettie is doing well today.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you . She is doing better and whilst still not a perfect night last night , it was much better !
Great news! Thank you for letting me know.