Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our Labrador is on her first season she's 8 months old.

Customer Question

Hi! Our Labrador is on her first season she's 8 months old. She's been sick once today and has a small lump on her bum. She's also squatting to wee but not doing anything alot. I rang the vets and they weren't very helpful so I just said I'd leave it for 24 hours, do you have any advice?
JA: Hi there. Sometimes a lump is serious, but it can be hard to know for sure. Let's see what the Expert has to say. Is there anything else the Vet should know about Labrador?
Customer: No I don't think so, I have a picture of the lump if there's any way I could send it over
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (26TZ5SZ)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is the lump
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Her bum also smells fishy
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I read online it could be her anal glands
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 8 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're thriugh to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks Chris
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 8 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this problem with your dog. The squatting to wee frequently to me is suggestive of cystotis/urinary tract infection. This can occurring due to the excess licking of the genitals when in season. She will need a veterinary examination and urine analysis to confirm and most likely a course of antibiotics.

I'm afraid I cannot see the lump clearly in that photo but the fishy smelly certainly suggests an anal gland problem, swelling in that area could suggest an abscess is developing. This certainly does need to be checked by your vet.

I'm not sure why your vet suggested to Just leave her, I would recommend getting her seen tomorrow or even this evening if possible.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (M26P4S5)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is a more clear picture
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are you still here
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 8 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** less like an anal gland abscess and more like a rectal polyp or other growth from the rectal wall

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you, she's been in tomorrow morning now anyway
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 8 days ago.

OK that's good to know