Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 14year old spanial has dementia and is incontinent and

Customer Question

My 14year old spanial has dementia and is incontinent and walking round in ever decreasing circles. He is not eating properly at eighty it is becoming impossible to cope.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the spaniel's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: He has been refusing to walk any distance for the last 2 months
JA: Does the spaniel seem to be in any pain?
Customer: He is a working cocker and has never shown signs of pain dispit several accidents over the years
JA: What's the spaniel's name?
Customer: Jet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No other than the distress to both my wife and I especially at the present with lock downs is getting too much
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 4 days ago.
Good afternoon. You are through to Dr Linda a UK based vet.
I'm very sorry to hear about this. You have my deepest sympathy and I appreciate it must be a huge source of stress for you.
I'm just typing out my full reply which will take about 10 minutes.
Sadly, it sounds as though Jet is very poorly indeed.
We know that dementia is a progressive disease and it will inevitably worsen with time. As it is already advanced, this would mean very profound neurological signs which may mean his current behaviours become even more pronounced.
The incontinence must be awful to deal with and may not be something that is treatable if related to the dementia. Having said this, it may be worth trialling some incontinence medicine and having his urine analysed in case of e.g. an infection or kidney disease.My main concern is that you say you are not coping. I can completely understand why.
If there is no one you know who would consider rehoming him during this last part of his life, we should considering euthanasia (having him put to sleep).
Given his age and health issues, I suspect his quality of life is not good and performing a euthanasia can be the kindest thing, to end any suffering.
This objective questionnaire can provide an insight as to how his quality of life is at the moment:
https://journeyspet.com/pet-quality-of-life-scale-calculator/
If he scores low, given everything you have told me and what we know about dementia, putting him to sleep would be for the best
If you contact your local clinic they would be able to arrange this, even during lockdown.
Please let me know if you have any questions about all of this.
Once again, I'm sorry you are in this sad and difficult situation.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied less than 1 hour ago.

Hi there, it's just Dr Linda checking in on you and Jet. Were you able to see my reply? Did you have any further questions?