Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog seems confused and is getting up every 30 sec to 1

Customer Question

My dog seems confused and is getting up every 30 sec to 1 min, seems to be a bit uncoordinated and restless. It came on about 2hrs after being given Loxicom for the first time after it was prescribed by the vets. It was prescribed for a swolen pad with several red circular patched on it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog been licking or rubbing the affected skin?
Customer: No, it has a bandage on it from the vet
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Greg 12yr old bulldog
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He is also taking yumove
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Greg is not himself.
Typically, Loxicom is very well tolerated so I would be more suspicious that his discomfort is to do with the paw.
He may dislike the bandage and be finding it stressful.
What do we think is going on with his paw?
Did the vet xray it or perhaps run some blood tests to determine why there is swelling?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They initially thought it may be pressure sores and he is back on Saturday for a dressing change, the dressing is a honey dressing, if no better they will investigate for cancer etc
Ok, I understand.
Hopefully it is good news, I'm sorry he is going through this, it must be a big concern.
Did the vet provide any other pain relief?
Is Greg trying to get to the bandage?
Is he displaying any worrying signs such as fast breathing or tremors?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The bandage has been on for 36 hrs and he showed no signs of distress not tried to remove it, he is also on antibiotics- riverine also prescribed at the same time, since the confusion set in the breathing is shallower as well
Ok thanks.
Is Rilexine the name of the antibiotic?
I appreciate he is getting up often and is restless but what makes you say he is confused?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he does not seem to be recognising his surroundings or any of the people around him
Oh ok, that is a worry.
Are you happy that he is able to both see and hear? You can check this by e.g. dropping a cotton ball in front of him and watching him track it and by making a noise behind him to see if he turns.
How many times a minute is he breathing?
Without further information, it is difficult for me to provide the best advice.
If there is true disorientation/confusion, this is a concern and could indicate a brain lesion such as a bleed / stroke. We would also need to consider sepsis (an infection of the blood) given that we know he has an infected foot.
Other possible explanations for his behaviour would include a high fever, high stress levels, uncontrolled pain, an adverse reaction to the Loxicom etc.
If he is unable to settle or his breathing rate is faster than 30 breaths a minute while resting, I would want him seen tonight.
Hopefully it is nothing serious but it is important we get him checked out. He may well need some stronger medicine.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hi there, how is Greg getting on?