Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My seven year old Rottweiler has started to vomit blood

Hi my seven year old Rottweiler has started to vomit blood today, what do you think could be the problem?
JA: Hi there. I'm so sorry the Rottweiler isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could the Rottweiler have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: I gave him a bite of my Quorn sausage roll, but his diet is pretty strict usually. I give him Wagg complete with a small sachet of meat in jelly because he won’t eat the complete dry. I keep his food measured because he has dysplasia.
JA: What's the Rottweiler's name?
Customer: Leroy Jethro
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He has developed some lumps on his body underneath. One is about the size of a marble, which has been there a while and then he’s grown a couple more over the last week or so not so big. They are not hard.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.
How many times has he vomited?
Was the entire vomit bright red?
Is he on any medicine such as pain relief or anti inflammatories?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks he’s vomited twice, the first time there was no blood but the second time there was blood and clots in it. It was bright red but streaky, he’s on Onsior for his Dysplasia and he’s been taking it since he was a pup.
Thank you for this information.
Certainly, we know that those on long term Onsior can get gastritis (stomach inflammation) and ulcers.
This can be dangerous as ulcers can bleed a lot.
Though it is Saturday, I would bring him to a vet this evening.
He should be checked over and will likely need some ant acids and pain relief.
The vet will likely also need to alter his pain relief medicine protocol.
While there are other potential causes for vomiting blood (such as an infection or blood clotting disorder), a stomach ulcer would be the first thing we would need to look into.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for that,he’s actually going to the vet on Monday morning and he has run out of his Onsior at the moment. So I will talk to the vet then. Thank you for your help tonight.
Not a problem.
As I say, it would be best to have him checked tonight if you can as there is a risk of internal bleeding which could be life threatening. He is also likely in pain and would benefit from some pain relief (that is not Onsior).
Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. I am online all night tonight.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you I will, I’m actually speaking to the emergency vet now
Oh great! Hopefully he feels better very soon.

Hi there, how is Leroy getting on?