DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

My Yorkshire terrier ate a piece of steak this evening and

My Yorkshire terrier ate a piece of steak this evening and although she managed to vomit it up she's not in good form since and has vomited. Do you think she will be ok
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Yorkshire Terrier weigh?
Customer: I can't say really...sorry..only a small little thing
JA: The Expert will know if the Yorkshire Terrier will be okay to digest the steak. What's the Yorkshire Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Daisy is almost 11 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not really...she's just not in good form since and is lethargic

Hello there. I am Dr.Paul Brazzell, and I will be helping you today.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you.

Talking by phone allows me to give a more accurate and rapid assessment of the problem. The more information I have, the better the job I can do.

Please let me know when you are ready to begin.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry I can't talk by phone because everyone in the house are asleep

Good afternoon! It is not unusual for dogs to be lethargic after vomiting. Was she completely normal prior t the vomiting? Did she eat anything else?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No. Just a lump of cooked steak. Tries to vomit a lot all evening as if there’s something else there but she drank water and it went down ok. Also had a bowel movement and passed urine

Thank you. How many times has Daisy vomited?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Twice and the last time it was like foamy water and a bit of blood...would that be from forcing all evening

It is not unusual to see a little blood in the vomit. I suspect that she is tired as a result of the vomiting and perhaps hypoglycemic. I am comfortable trying a few things at home. But if Daisy does not improve, I would recommend taking her in for an examination.

Let’s give Pepcid AC at 1 X 10mg tablet per 20 pounds twice daily. This is Famotidine, and it decreases the acid in the stomach.

Just put on the finger's tip and place on the back of the tongue, then hold the mouth closed till swallows.

Pedialyte to drink starting 2 hours after the first dose- flavored or unflavored.

Please five 1-2 tsp of corn/Karo syrup.

No food till later tonight.

Then cooked hamburger and rice. Use lean ground beef and strain off the fat before mixing it with the cooked rice. I would feed 3X daily.

Watch for vomiting or continued vomiting, not eating, blood in vomit.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much. I shall get the medicine tomorrow morning

You are so very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I will connect with you tomorrow morning.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

I am here to help. ūüėČ

Dr. Paul Brazzell

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help Dr. Daisy is in top form this morning...jumping and wagging her tail. I’m so happy. Thanks again for all your help and support. Regards. Anne

Great news!