Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I.think my dog has eaten a small washing up sponge how much

Customer Question

I.think my dog has eaten a small washing up sponge how much will it cost me to have it removed I have no insurance
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the sponge was eaten?
Customer: She's a black Labrador, it was a sponge of about three inches by two and about three quarters of a inch thick had at the vets last week as thought she had swallowed a pen but found that and it cost me £400 for x-ray my husband lost his job and is now only working part time and is now furlowed
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: Yes last night and has had breakfast and kept that down but her poo is constipated looking
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's nine months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tilly?
Customer: Don't think soCustomer: Chat is completed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. You're through to Dr Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you shortly.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

Sorry to hear of this with Tilly, I know you must be very worried but I will do my best to help. Could you tell me how long ago she ate the sponge? Do you think she chewed it into pieces or swallowed it whole?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Swallowed it whole it was a small sponge about three by two inches
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It was Friday afternoon
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can't afford to keep spending
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

OK thanks for the additional information, just a moment whilst I type my response

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 18 days ago.

Whilst the ingestion of the sponge is certainly a concern, I think at this stage it is appropriate to take a watch and wait approach so long as she remains bright, eating, passing faeces and not suffering from further vomiting, we may find that the sponge is able to pass by itself.

If further/persistent vomiting, lethargy, depression, signs of abdominal pain or other symptoms develop, then she will need to be seen by your vet and have an xray taken and in the worst case scenario, surgical exploration and removal of the sponge.

I hope that answers your question, and perhaps puts your kind at ease somewhat? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.