Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My working English setter called Archie is 7 years old.

Customer Question

Hi my working English setter called Archie is 7 years old. During the summer months after out walking he came back scratching and biting his tummy and tail. It calmed down about 3-4 weeks ago. I've changed his diet to Harrington's no grain food and give him 3 pumps a day of 'itchydog'. However took him out on Friday and he was through long grass in the woods chasing pheasants. Could I give him anti histamine long term. Someone said he was showing symptoms of typical grass allergy, and suggested claratyn. Does this seem the case to you. Regards ***** *****
JA: The Vet will know if the English Setter can have that. What allergy symptoms does the English Setter have? Have you talked to a vet about this?
Customer: Only symptoms is itching. Can't go to vet due to lock down as I'm isolating x
JA: Hi there. What's the English Setter's name?
Customer: Archie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No don't think so. He's eating normally and his toilet is fine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 20 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Grass allergies are common and can cause itchy paws/belly as well as runny eyes and nose.
Other potential causes include atopic dermatitis, a food allergy (grain is rarely the culprit), parasites, a fungal overgrowth etc.
You can give a dog with seasonal allergies 4 to 8mg Piriton every 12 hours as needed. It is effective on about 1/3 of dogs so may not hell but is certainly worth trying.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you can you use Piriton fir humans
Absolutely, yes.
It is the same one we use with the active ingredient 'chlorphenamine'. Hopefully it helps!