RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I'm very experienced stud dog owner of 50 years thought I'd

Customer Question

I'm very experienced stud dog owner of 50 years thought I'd seen it all and very rarely not been able to effect a mating. So, this last week, maiden bitch been coming to use my dog. He has ( after a lot of faffing about) had 4 slip matings. What is going on? I've guided him in, he's penetrated, I've held him on but then, slipped out. Bitch is flirting, reasonably swollen and standing still. Done internal and she is quite open except cant get in more than length of my finger before hitting a narrow opening. Do you know what might he going on?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed the dog licking at the swelling?
Customer: Do you mean when he has spent hinself and is hanging out? Not much, he just goes and lies down until back in.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Eh why?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No, don't think so, he's healthy and had successful matings and is only 3 years old cocker.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hey what's happenning and how much are you taking from my card?
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 22 days ago.

Hello there,

You are through to Dr Coles, I am a UK based vet and I am going to respond to your question just shortly.

Thank you for your question regarding breeding. Slip matings can be normal for some dogs. Sometimes this can be due to the female being nervous/inexperienced or not staying still. Some slip matings can even be successful in producing puppies. I would suspect this is due to the bitch being inexperienced. I would not recommend doing an internal examination on a dog if you are not a veterinarian/veterinary trained as you can easily introduce infection into the bitches vagina/cervix. The normal bitches vaginal canal is not much longer than the length of a finger. You may be feeling the vaginal fornix which is a blind ending pouch. I would recommend that you have the female examined by a vet for a reproductive exam and you may need to try again at the bitches next oestrus.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thankyou its exactly as I thought. Just needed reassurance. Feel so responsible for the bitch's owners' happiness and trust, who are lovely and just want to have a nice litter. I hate feeling I'm doing something wrong or my dog is not performing. I don't like 'blaming' the bitch and making owners feel bad. I'm rarely beaten in a mating! This is so unusual, hence being driven to asking g advice when I onjw what the answer is going to he. Thankyiu again.