Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

Dog has fractured front leg needs surgery cant afford price

Customer Question

dog has fractured front leg needs surgery cant afford price unless its a payment plan any help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's fractured leg? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: fractured yesterday pdsa in huyton got dog there since yesterday but not doing any operations
JA: Is the dog taking any medications?
Customer: no think they gave it pain killers overnite its a eleven month old french bulldog name duke been waiting for pdsa to ring bak to see exactly how extent of injury but had missed call off them person trying to reach me working from home no reply number for her and big call quefor pdsa
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: duke
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm very sorry to hear you are in this position and I'm glad Duke is being looked after.
The options we have will depend on what the PDSA say, as treatment will vary depending on what type of break it is.
It is possible he would heal well with casting and strict rest, so fingers crossed this option is available to us.
If orthopaedic surgery is unaffordable, while it can sound extreme, leg amputation is sometimes considered if the break is very bad. This surgery is generally a lot more affordable and can yield good results, minimising long term pain.
Alternative solutions would include contacting local vets to see if they can do the surgery and either allow a payment plan or credit payment. Some vets are happy to do this but you need to ask the clinical director to see if this is an option.
Finally, some owners will crowd fund though websites such as Go Fund Me, so that is something to consider.
I do hope we get a solution that works for you and that Duke is back to his normal self in no time.